Insurance Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Home
During the house hunt, you will likely be overwhelmed with viewing different properties and determining whether or not they meet your long list of criteria. What many future homeowners forget to consider is the insurance implications of a new property. Regardless of whether you are a first-time home buyer or a seasoned property owner, it’s important to factor in the potential insurance costs of a new home. When you’re shopping for a home, don’t forget about home insurance in Cutler Bay, FL.
Ask yourself the following questions when looking at prospective homes:
- How far is the property from the fire department? Houses that are near a fire station – or even a water hydrant – are usually cheaper to insure.
- Is the house built well? Has it been maintained? If the condition of the home is poor, you can expect to pay more in premiums. Homes built by reputable builders using disaster-resistant materials and designed to meet local building codes are more likely to survive natural disasters.
- What is the condition of the plumbing and electrical systems? Poorly maintained or unsafe systems will cost more to insure.
- Is the house at risk of flooding? Be aware that standard home insurance policies do not cover flood damage. If the house is located near a water source, you may have to take out a separate flood policy.
- Is the home vulnerable to wind damage? Protection from damage may need to be purchased separately. A home on or near the coast may be more costly to insure than one inland.
Be sure to consider these insurance factors so that you don’t face an unexpected surprised when securing insurance for your dream property. Talk to the team of professionals at UniVista Insurance Hialeah|Cutler Bay. We can help you select the right policy for your needs. Serving Florida residents, contact us today to get started.