Holiday Fire Safety Tips
The festive season is here! It’s a time to deck the halls, pick out the best Christmas tree, and cook a feast for loved ones. While the festive period is a fun time for all, the holiday season can also open up our homes to more fire hazards than usual, which is why it is so important for homeowners to be extra cautious during this time. This year, take these preventative fire safety steps to ensure your home and belongings are safe.
- Make sure to switch off all space heaters before leaving the room or going to sleep.
- Place space heaters away from flammable materials.
- Never overload your electrical sockets.
- Avoid using nails to string up holiday lights.
- Make sure your holiday lights do not have any cracked or frayed wiring.
- Unplug all holiday lights before leaving your home or going to bed.
- Opt for a fire retardant Christmas tree with a high fire safety rating.
- If you choose a real tree, secure it in a sturdy base and water it daily.
- Place the tree away from candles, heaters, fireplaces, and other heat sources.
- Dispose of the tree properly – Never burn a real tree in the fireplace.
- Keep them out of reach of children and pets.
- Place burning candles away from drafts, vents, and air currents.
- Do not burn a candle for longer than the manufacturer recommends.
- Never use candles on Christmas trees, even artificial ones.
- Clean out the oven and stove prior to cooking.
- Avoid wearing loose-fitting clothing and long sleeves that could catch fire.
- Move flammable objects such as kitchen towels and utensils away from the stovetop.
- Don’t leave the kitchen while the stovetop and oven are in use.
These tips can help to protect your home and belongings from facing fire damage this season. For peace of mind that your assets are protected, secure reliable homeowners insurance that can be there for you when the worst happens. Contact the team at UniVista Insurance Hialeah|Cutler Bay to get started on your tailored coverage.